Last year around this time, I had the privilege of introducing you to some pretty special characters, Kaleigh, Connor, and Peter. Since then, we've traveled a rough road with them all the way to the end. But now, I thought we'd check in with Kaleigh and Connor and see how they're spending the holidays.
**SPOILER ALERT** Do NOT read this if you haven't read VENGEANCE!
Tiny lights twinkle on the tree in a rainbow of colors. I’ve
never had a Christmas tree before. I honestly wasn’t convinced I wanted one
this year, but Connor insisted. Not that I’d ever tell him, but I’m glad.
Snuggled up on the couch under a fuzzy blanket, watching them sparkle in the dimmed
room—it sounds cheesy—but it’s almost magical. And magic is what it’s all about
on Christmas Eve. Or so I hear.
Only one thing could make this night better and he’s nowhere
to be found. Connor should have been home from work over an hour ago, but I
haven’t seen the guy since I rolled out of bed before the sun and jealously left
him snoring under the blankets.
Snatching my mug from the low table in front of the couch, I
blow on the steaming liquid before taking a reverent sip of the delicious coco Peter’s
mother gave me. I planned to share it with Connor, but . . . his loss. Snuggling
back under the cover, I lay my head on the armrest and let my eyes drift
closed. Tomorrow, we’re expected to be at the Cahill’s bright and early for a
day of food and festivities. Lori will be there, as well, and I’m really
looking forward to it.
A burst of icy air shoots me straight back into consciousness
as the door flies open and Connor barges in, stomping the snow from his boots. “It’s
getting bad out there.”
I glance past him to the snow falling outside. The fat, wet
flakes are piling up fast. “Looks like it. Is that why you’re late?”
“Partly.” He slams the door shut, shucking off his coat and
tossing it in the general direction of the coat closet.
I sigh. I’ve given up trying to make him any less of a slob.
Besides, I’m not much better myself. If it wasn’t for our once a week joint cleaning sprees, this place would be a total wreck. “Partly? What’s the other
part?”
He joins me on the couch, scooping my feet up to make room
and dropping them in his lap. “I got you something.” He reached in his pants
pocket and comes out with a small box wrapped in white paper.
“Connor!” I sit up, taking the cozy blanket with me and
glare at him. “We agreed not to get each other anything.”
“You agreed. I just sort of nodded.”
“What do you think nodding is?”
He thinks about it a moment before smirking at me.
“Placating you.”
“Connor,” I whine and he only laughs. “But I didn’t get you
anything. I kept my word”
I’m actually trying to spin the ‘I didn’t get you a gift,
but I’m still the good guy here’ angle on this. It’s the only way to keep the
guilt at bay.
“You always do. That’s one of the things I love about you.”
So much for keeping it at bay. The guilt comes crashing
down. “I’m sorry, I should have—”
“Oh, stop. This is really more like a present for me, anyway.
Well, it might be. I hope it is.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Just open the thing, would ya, Girlie?”
It may be small, but I’m sure whatever’s in there is going
to make me feel about a million times worse. All of my focus riveted on the
tiny box in my hands, I peel back the paper little by little.
“You’re killing me here.” I can’t help laughing at Connor’s
groan and force my fingers to move even slower.
Finally, I can’t take it anymore. The anticipation gets to
be too much—I’ve never been a patient person— and I rip the rest of the
wrapping off, tossing it carelessly on the floor at my feet. I flip the lid
open and I promptly stop breathing. My wide eyed gaze moves to Connor, who has
shifted positions. He’s kneeling on the floor beside me, which puts us at about
eye level, and suddenly my heart seems to stop, as well.
My eyes flick back down to the box in my hands. Nestled in
the white folds of velvet, sits a white gold ring. The light from the tree glints off of the small diamond embedded in it.
Connor clears his throat and I suddenly remember how to breathe, sucking in a
deep, steadying breath.
“So, what do ya think, Girlie? You wanna marry me?”
Holy. Crap.
“Yes!” I’m surprised by how instantaneous and confident my
answer is, but I know it’s the right one. I want nothing more. “Yes. Yes. Yes,
I want to marry you. Do you really need to ask?”
“I hear it’s a tradition that’s comin’ back in style.” He
winks at me and I burst out laughing as he plucks the tiny ring from the box
and slips it on my left hand.
As soon as it’s on, I throw my arms around his neck and kiss
him soundly. Things are finally right. They’re finally perfect, and I couldn’t
be happier.
When we eventually break apart, we’re both breathing hard
and Connor’s wearing this goofy grin. “Told ya it was a present for me.”
Lifting my hand close to my face in order to better examine my
ring—my engagement ring—I notice two
words engraved on the bottom.
‘Together’ and ‘Anything’.
They’re absolutely perfect, too.
Yay! This was PERFECT! Thank you for this little addition!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!! Let me know if you do a cover reveal/book tour!
ReplyDelete